Not long after the unveiling of iOS 10, the first major update to Apple’s mobile operating system has been out there in the form of iOS 10.1. With the release of impressive portrait mode for iPhone 7 Plus, the update also includes a pack of bug fixes, tweaks, and some new features for other compatible iOS devices.
Portrait Mode for iPhone 7 Plus
Apple on Monday has officially publicized the most prominent feature “Portrait Mode”, adding a beautiful new photo feature to the world’s most famous camera fitted in iPhone 7 Plus. This update is only for developers and public beta testers. They can try it out in beta versions of iOS 10.1!
With the portrait mode, the dual-lenses 12-megapixel camera on iPhone 7 Plus creates professional-looking photos and stimulates the depth-of-field effect by using data from both lenses, named main lens and telephoto lens. Now the question is; what’s depth-of-field effect? It is a professional photography effect where the certain objects in the foreground are in focus, while the background in blurred. This effect is also known as “bokeh” and was previously available on DSLR and compact cameras.
In addition to Portrait Camera mode, the iPhone 7 Plus users can also enjoy the zooming feature for photos, as it offers optical zoom at 2x and 10x for digital zoom. You can easily access ‘Portrait mode’ from the Camera app, in between Photo and Square modes, and capture more dynamic and striking photos.
Some New Features and Fixes of iOS 10.1
Undoubtedly, the Portrait Camera is the main chief feature in iOS 10.1, but there are some pretty reasons to download the most recent update on your iPhone, even you don’t own an iPhone 7 Plus. According to Apple, here’s a list of new features and fixes of 10.1.
- Person names in the Photos app are stored in iCloud backups.
- The new ‘Messages option’ enables users to replay bubble and full-screen
- Through the Activity App in your Apple Watch, you can add distance and average pace to workout summaries.
- The update fixes the issues of displaying the contact names incorrectly.
- With the release of iOS 10.1, the Sign-based transit navigation feature is also added in Map, such as layouts of all underground structures and walkways that connect large transit stations.
- You can also make transit fare comparison when looking alternative transit routes.
- It fixes a syncing issue where the sending videos could be missing audio.
- Resolves the issues that triggered some third party apps to crash when entering text.
- Improves Bluetooth connectivity with 3rd party accessories.
How to Get Installed iOS 10.1?
Here’s what you need to do if you want to grab iOS 10.1 on your Apple device;
- Connect your device to the internet.
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap the ‘Software Update’ in the ‘General’ section.
- Hit ‘Download and Install’.
- The update will start instantly and take a few minutes to install.
- After installing the update, the device will reboot with its new OS!
The notable thing in the recent update is that it is not only iPhone 7 Plus, but you can get the latest iOS 10 version to various other Apple devices, such as iPhone 7, iPhone 5, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4, 4th-gen iPad, and 6th-gen iPod Touch. Download it through iTunes now and enjoy new exciting features on your iPhone or iPad!