Sony Xperia Devices Leak Ahead Of MWC
Talking about Sony’s smartphone division is painful to say the least. Even after years and years of making smartphones, Sony still hasn’t found its groove. As a result Sony Xperia smartphones don’t sell well. And the condition has gone from bad to worse in recent years. Japan, where the devices sold like hot cakes, is slipping away from Sony. So what can they do to turn things around? Make weirdly tall phones, fit smaller batteries and charge exorbitant prices. No, this is not what we think, rather the people who are at the helm of Sony’s smartphone division.
Leaks, Leaks and More Leaks
Sony’s MWC press briefing will be held in a few days. The company will take to the stage to announce it’s smartphone lineup for the first half of 2019. The Sony Xperia devices which are said to be launching soon include not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4 phones. A massive leak which surfaced today detail the specs of the Sony Xperia 1, the Xperia 10, the 10 Plus and the Xperia L3. So lets take a look:
The Flagship Sony Xperia 1
We will start with the most interesting smartphone of the bunch, The Sony Xperia 1. It is a successor to the Xperia XZ3. A new brand name, a new design and updated specs. Things are looking promising:
- Snapdragon 855 with 6GB of RAM
- 128GB of expandable storage
- A 6.5 inch, 21:9 4K HDR OLED panel
- Triple rear cameras dialing in at 12MP and an 8MP front facing camera
- 3300 mAh battery
- USB Type C, with IP-68 water and dust resistance
- Android Pie out of the box
These specs are all flagship grade. So expect to pay a flagship price of about $1000.
The Midranger Challengers Xperia X10 and X10 Plus
Next up we have 2 midrangers from Sony. The Sony Xperia 10 and the 10 Plus will be responsible for filling the gaps in the midrange section. They are decently specd and if Sony can price them right, we think they will sell really well:
- A 6 inch Full HD+ panel on the Xperia 10 and a 6.5 inch one on the Xperia 10 Plus both having an aspect ratio of 21:9
- Snapdragon 630 and 636 for the 10 and the 10 Plus respectively
- Both the phones have an 8MP front camera, a side-mounted fingerprint scanner and 64GB of expandable storage
- The rear cameras are a bit different though. The Xperia 10 has a dual 12+8MP camera unit while the 10 Plus has a 13+8MP unit with optical zoom
- And lastly we can expect a 2870 mAh battery on the regular 10 and a 3000 mAh one on the 10 Plus
Both of these phones are expected to carry a price tag of somewhere around $400.
The Not-So Low-end Xperia L3
Lastly we have the Sony Xperia L3. The device is a low-end offering to complete the new generation smartphone lineup from Sony.
- A traditional 5.7 inch 18:9 aspect ratio display with HD+ resoltuion
- 13+2MP rear facing combo and an 8MP front facing shooter
- Mediatek 6762 processor
- A side mounted fingerprint scanner
- 3300mAh power pack
- $200 price tag
So this was everything we know about these phones at this point. MWC is starting soon so we don’t have that much longer to wait. We’ll keep you posted about everything that happens at MWC. Be sure to keep coming back to get the latest tech scoop!