Huawei P9 Plus is the latest phone from the Huawei company and recently it got Android Nougat update. If you installed Android Nougat update on your Huawei P9 Plus, you may have lost root access on your device. Good news is you can regain root access on your P9 running Android Nougat. All cedit goes to a member named Thomascook, at XDA-Developers so, we should Thank him for this step by step guide.
If you are rooting your Huawei for the first time you are also welcome. Follow every step carefully to install TWRP recovery and root your P9 Plus. The tricky part here is the TWRP recovery used to flash the SuperSU root zip file. The TWRP recovery used here is actually the one meant for Huawei Honor 8, which seems to work just fine for the time being for the P9 Plus too.
Before you Begin read
1. This post is only for Huawei P9 Plus devices. So, please do not attempt to use with any other Huawei or Android smartphone.
2. The bootloader of Huawei P9 Plus should be unlocked otherwise you cannot root your phone.
3. Make sure you have installed Huawei P9 USB Drivers on your PC.
4. Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking option from Developer Options.
5. Make sure your device has charging more than 60% to avoid bricking issue.
Download these files in order to root your Huawei
3. Huawei USB drivers
Make sure you've downloaded all the required files and then follow the instructions
A) Install TWRP Recovery on Huawei P9 Plus
1. Extract the .zip file and rename the TWRP.img file to something easier.
2. Now, connect your phone with your PC using USB data cable.
3. Next, go to the folder where you have extracted the .zip file and press and open command window.
How? Just, hold shift key and right click inside the Fastboot folder at the empty space and choose open command window here.
4. Open CMD as Administrator and type the following command in order to boot Huawei P9 Plus into fast boot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
Then, you need to type the following code in this way you will flash TWRP Recovery on Huawei P9 Plus
fastboot flash recovery Huawei-P9-Plus-twrp.img
Type the following command to reboot your phone
B) Root your device now
1. Transfer the downloaded Super Su file to your device.
2. Turn your device off and then boot it into recovery mode.
3. When you see TWRP recovery, tap on the install option. Navigate and select the SuperSU zip file to flash it. Swipe the button to confirm the installation process.
4. Return to the TWRP main menu and tap on the reboot system option to restart your Huawei P9 Plus.
That's it! your Huawei P9 now has root access.
Note: Do not use the patched boot image of the Honor 8 as that is not for your device, and may damage it.