This is Google's second attempt to team up with US carrier Verizon. But this time unlike Google Nexus line the Google Pixels sold through VZW have non-unlockable bootloaders. Nexus series is well known for their unlockable bootloaders. This time with Pixels there are at least two carriers selling non-unlockable Pixels.
Google’s Nexus line gave Android fans comfort with an unlocked bootloader while Google still sells unlocked Google Pixel and Pixel XL phones. If you availed some amazing Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals from Verizon, EE (UK) you can still unlock bootloader of your pixel smartphone.
Using third-party tool called dePixel8 you can unlock the bootloader and your Pixel will behave just like the models sold direct from Google. Justin Case and beaups have discovered a method to force the Pixel's bootloader into an unlockable state.
The process basically involves copying the dePixel8 tool over to your Pixel, changing its permissions to be executable, and then running it. Your device will restart to the bootloader where fastboot can be used to issue the oem unlock command, just like a normal unlock.
Backup all your important data on our Google Pixel or Pixel XL.
Enable USB Debugging: go to Settings > Developer options and enable USB Debugging and OEM unlocking. If developer options are disabled, go to Settings > About phone > Build number and tap it 7 times to enable.
Make sure your Google Pixel has Charging more than 80%.
Download ADB and Fasboot and install it on your computer.
Note: dePixel8 doesn’t offer any support or warranty for the process; please proceed at your own risk.
1. download dePixel8 and keep it in the same folder where you have installed ADB.
2. Using a USB cable Connect your Google Pixel or Pixel XL to the PC.
3. Navigate to the folder where you have extracted the ADB and Fastboot files and open cmd (press Shift + Right click on empty space inside the folder and select Open command prompt ).
4. Then, Enter the following commands:
1. adb push dePixel8 /data/local/tmp – press Enter. 2. adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/dePixel8 – Enter. 3. adb shell /data/local/tmp/dePixel8 – press Enter.
5. Now, your Pixel phone will reboot into the bootloader mode. But If it doesn’t, reboot yourself and try doing the same thing again.
6. Once your locked Google Pixel phone is in bootloader mode, enter the following command to unlock the bootloader:
fastboot oem unlock
7. You will get an unlock prompt on your screen. Use Volume keys to highlight Yes and Power button to confirm unlocking the bootloader.
8. Your Google Pixel will reboot into bootloader mode after the unlock process. Use the following command to reboot.
That was all, facing issues? reach us through comments.