Update Moto X Play to Android 7.1.1 Nougat
Last Updated on Jun 24, 2017 by Fayzan
The Motorola Moto X Play is now being directly updated to Android Nougat 7.1.1. The Moto X Play was launched in 2015 with Android 5.1 Lollipop. It was promised by the company to receive the Android 7.0 Nougat update at some point. Now, Moto X Play is not getting the Android 7.0 update. That’s because it is now being directly updated to Android 7.1.1 Nougat by Motorola. Good News!
Don’t want to wait for the OTA? You can also get the update by flashing the official factory images provided by Motorola. You can find the download link of Android 7.1.1 Nougat Firmware for Moto X Play. Read all the instructions very carefully and follow all the steps one by one on your phone. The OTA update is about 1.1 GB is size so make sure you’re on an unlimited plan or connected to a Wi-Fi network.
New Update Features
Its Nougat update, you will be getting features such as bundled notifications, split-screen, improved Doze mode, quick reply and more. If you didn’t see a notification already, you can check for the update in Settings > About phone > System updates or follow the guide.
Download ADB and fastboot driver for windows. This will create a ADB folder on your windows C drive.
Download and install Drivers for Moto X Play if above doesn’t work.
Moto X Play Android 7.1.1 Nougat Factory Image – Download
- Set up ADB and fastboot on your PC.
- Install Motorola USB drivers on your PC.
- Backup all your important data because it might get wiped.
- Make sure that your Moto X Play has at least 70% battery.
Note: Flashing an official update shouldn’t void any warranty that you may have. You cannot downgrade to a previous software version after installing this update. That is unless your Moto X Play has an unlocked bootloader.
How to update Moto X Play to official Android 7.1.1 Nougat
1. Once you have the necessary factory image, connect your phone to the PC with a USB cable.
2. Next, launch the ADB command interface. Hold down the shift key and right-click an empty area in the ADB installation folder to do so. This can also be done by simply typing cmd in the Windows Explorer address bar and pressing enter.
3. Type is the following ADB command to see if your device is detected.
4. If it is detected, boot your Moto X Play into fastboot mode with the following command. (If not Re-install the USB drivers and try again)
adb reboot bootloader
5. You may also boot your phone into fastboot mode by pressing and holding the Power button and Volume down button together for a few seconds.
6. When the phone is in fastboot mode, enter the following commands one by one.
fastboot oem fb_mode_set fastboot flash partition gpt.bin fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img fastboot flash logo logo.bin fastboot flash boot boot.img fastboot flash recovery recovery.img fastboot flash system system.img fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn fastboot erase cache fastboot erase userdata fastboot erase customize fastboot erase clogo fastboot oem fb_mode_clear fastboot reboot
7. These commands first flash the necessary image files, wipe your data and then reboot your phone.
That’s it, it’ll take a little longer than usual for the first time. After first boot up you’ll see Nougat running on your Moto X Play. For queries, feel free to use comment box, Thanks!