You can now root your Pixel XL smartphone and install TWRP recovery on it. Pixel XL is an awesome android phone with 5.5 inches display size and resolution 1440 x 2560 pixels. It is running Android Nougat with Qualcomm MSM8996 Snapdragon 821 Quad-Core CPU, Internal 32/128 GB and 4 GB of RAM. Google patched some critical security vulnerabilities in the latest Android December security updates. Once you have updated your Pixel XL to Android 7.1.1 Nougat, you can root it with latest SuperSu, follow our guide.
- Backup all the important data available on your Pixel XL.
- Download USB drivers for Pixel on your computer.
- Latest Android 7.1.1 Nougat version is required.
- The Google Pixel bootloader should be unlocked.
- Make sure your Pixel XL has charging more than 60%.
- Enable USB debugging mode settings > Apps > Navigate and tap on Developer Options to enable USB Debugging
This rooting tutorial is only for Google Pixel XL, Do Not try this any other device or you will brick it. Rooting voids manufacturer warranty. Follow the instructions carefully to safely root your Pixel XL.
Download these required files.
- Download Android SDK and install it. Set it up with platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK.
- Download SuperSU v2.78 SR5 for your Google Pixel on your PC.
- Make sure to download TWRP image and zip files
Download Fastboot from the following links, depending on your OS and extract it in android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory. Create directory if not already there.
How to root and install TWRP on Pixel XL running Android Nougat
Steps to follow:
1. Make sure you’ve downloaded all the required files from the links provided above.
2. Then connect your Pixel XL to your computer using USB cable.
3. Now Copy SuperSu and TWRP zip files to your device’s SD card root folder.
4. Turn off your phone and enter in the Bootloader mode, by holding volume down and turning the device on.
5. Once in bootloader mode, go to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt) and type the following command:
fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-alpha2-fastboot-marlin.img
6. You’ll now be in the TWRP recovery mode. Select Install and choose the TWRP installer zip file. Then, Swipe to Confirm Flash at the bottom of the screen to start the installation process.
7. Once installed, reboot your Google Pixel XL into recovery mode.
8. Again from the recovery mode, tap on Install and select the SuperSU zip file downloaded earlier. Swipe to confirm flashing.
9. Wait for installation to complete and then reboot system.
That’s it, now your Google Pixel XL is rooted on the latest Android 7.1.1 Nougat. Any queries please reach us through comments, Thanks.