Samsung Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge were released way back in 2016. The devices were monumental steps forward in Samsung’s flagship lineup. They offered significantly improved performance, above average battery and excellent cameras. But unfortunately these otherwise excellent devices won’t be getting the Android 9.0 Pie update. The 2016 flagships are officially excluded from the update road-map announced by Samsung. So if you want the latest and greatest of Android, you have to root the Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge.
Made your mind? Lets root the Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge get you Android 9.0 Pie by flashing Resurrection Remix.
Installing custom recoveries and flashing custom roms can result in device failures and other issues may pop up at any time. So do this at your own risk.
- Download Odin
- Download the latest version of TWRP recover. For Galaxy S7. For Galaxy S7 Edge
- Download the latest version of Magisk or SuperSU
- Download the latest version of Resurrection Remix
- Make sure to have Samsung device drivers installed on your PC
Unlocking the Bootloader
- To root the Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge or to flash a custom recovery like TWRP, you first need to unlock the Bootloader of your phone.
- Fortunately the process takes roughly 2 minutes. First up, enable Developer Options on your smartphone.
- To do so, tap on Settings> About> Build Number 7 times until you see a pop-up
- You are now a developer. Go back to the main settings menu and you’ll see Developer Options. Tap on it. Once inside enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging
- Once you are done with the above mentioned steps, connect your phone to your PC
- Extract the Odin zip file that you just downloaded and move the TWRP zip file into the extracted folder
- Once done, turn off your phone. Now hold the Volume Down + Home + Power Button simultaneously until you see a blue screen or a screen with an exclamation mark. As soon as you see one, press the Volume Up key
- Now your phone is in the download mode. Open the folder on your PC where you extracted Odin and locate the .exe file and right-click>Run as administrator
- If your device is detected, ID:COM column in Odin will be highlighted
- Now in the AP and add the previously donwloaded TWRP file
- Once done, click the Options tab and un-mark the auto reboot
- Finally click Start and TWRP will be flashed
Installing Resurrection Remix
- To begin installing Resurrection Remix, boot your in recovery mode by pressing and holding down volume down+ power button + home button. Keep holding the buttons until you see a blank screen or a black screen. Once you see the blank scree, quickly release only the Volume Down button and press and hold the Volume Up along with the power and the home buttons. Keep holding these buttons until you end up in recovery mode
- Once in Recovery Mode connect your phone to your PC and transfer the Resurrection Remix file into the internal storage
- As a precaution Wipe the dalvik cache first
- Now tap on install an locate the file that you just moved to your device
- Swipe to confirm the installation
- Resurrection Remix will now be installed on your phone.
- Once installed go back to the main recovery menu and Reboot>Recovery
- Now follow the exact same steps to install Magisk. Move the downloaded file into the phone and install in recovery
- Once you have installed everything you want, go back to the main menu and for the final time Reboot > System
- The first boot may take a while so don’t worry
So this is everything you need to know to root the Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge. As you can see this is no rocket science. So follow the steps detailed above and let us know about your experience with Resurrection Remix in the comments down below.