Last year when Xiaomi released The Xiaomi Pocophone F1 it took the smartphone world by storm. The device was a powerhouse. Packing a flagship grade Snapdragon 845 it beat every phone in its price range when it came to performance. So it is no wonder that Xiaomi sold quite a lot of these.
But there was a problem. People in the west aren’t too keen on using Chinese OEM skins even the good ones like the MIUI, which is present on the Pocophone F1. People wanted stock android. Well it turns out this can be solved quite easily. If you too are one of those people who want to have stock android on their phone then stay and follow me.
Installing custom recoveries and flashing custom roms can result in device failures and other issues may pop up at any time. So do this at your own risk.
- Unlocked Bootloader
- TWRP Recovery
- A GSI image
- Encryption Disabler
Unlocking the Bootloader
To unlock your bootloader follow these steps:
- Enable Developer Options on your Pocophone F1 by going to Settings>About>MIUI Version and tapping on it 7 times
- Go back to Settings>Developer Options and enable OEM Unlocking. Now open Mi Unlock Status and give permissions and add your account and device
- Now you have to wait 72 hours for the procedure to take place
- Go to Xiaomi tool website and download the tool
- Open the tool and log in with your account
- Connect your phone to your PC and reboot your device to fastboot by holding down the power and volume down button
- Once you do this, the tool will detect your device and it will unlock your Pocophone F1
- First up download the Encryption Disabler
- Download and install the ADB tools. Be sure to remove your screen lock before proceeding further
- Reboot your device in the fastboot mode
- Download the recovery image and put it in the ADB folder on your pc
- open Windows Command Shell/Power Shell from within the ADB folder
- Now Type: fastboot flash recovery twrp-188.8.131.52-beryllium-20180831.img
- Now once this process completes again reboot your device by holding the power button +volume up
- If asked, allow modifications
- Now go to Install > select the DisableForceEncryption_Treble.zip and swipe to flash the recovery
- Now go to the main screen by using the on screen keys and do Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Data > Swipe to wipe
- Go back to the main screen one last time and Reboot> Recovery
Flashing The Android P image
For this step you need a Android P GSI image of your choice.
- Once you have the image you like, connect the your Pocophone F1 to your PC and reboot into recovery
- Unzip the downloaded image and place the .img file into your phones internal storage or SD card
- Once in Recovery, go to Install>Install Image>select the .img file> and tap on it
- Choose Partition System/System image and swipe to flash the image
- Reboot the device and do the devices setup
- Download Magisk
- Reboot to recovery
- Once in recovery, go to Install>Install zip> locate the Magisk zip on your device>swipe to install it
- Now go back to the main menu and Reboot>System
And thats it folks. Enjoy your new Android P on your Pocophone F1. Be sure to give us your feedback on this guide and don’t forget to comment if you have any questions or if you just want to say Hi. We love a Hi!