How To Root The Lenovo TAB3 8 (TB3-850F) And Install TWRP
When Lenovo released the Lenovo TAB3 8 way back in 2016, it was meant as a mobile media player for the whole family. The device was sufficiently powerful for its time. It packed a nice display, with ample battery capacity and launched with the latest Android build for that time. But as always with technology it gets old. The software gets bogged down, the hardware deteriorates it just becomes a mess. So how can you breathe new life into such an old product? Easy! Root the Lenovo TAB3 8.
Rooting enables us to get rid of the stock, manufacturer installed ROM and flash something new and optimized on the device. And today we are going to do just that. So lets get started and Root the Lenovo Tab3 8 and install TWRP on it.
Rooting your device and installing anything other than manufacturer provided software voids your warranty. It can also produce unintended side effects in your device’s normal operation like broken features an such. In some extreme cases it can also brick device making it unusable. So proceed at your own risk.
- A PC running Windows 7 or higher
- ADB and Fastboot v1.4
- Lenovo USB drivers for windows
- TWRP v3.0.1
- ADB drivers for windows
- Magisk or SuperSu whichever you prefer
You can find everything mentioned above here
Unlocking the Bootloader
To root Lenovo TAB3 8 and install any custom recovery or ROMs on it, you first need your device’s bootloader to be unlocked. To do that follow the following instructions:
Unlocking the bootloader factory resets your phone. So all of your data will be deleted. Make a backup beforehand.
- Go to Settings > About Device > Build Number and tap on it 7/8 times to enable the Developer Options
- Once done, go back one step to the main Settings > Developer Options > OEM Unlock and enable it. Also enable USB Debugging in the same settings panel
- Install the software you just downloaded like Lenovo drivers, the fastboot utilites, adb drivers and adb utilities on your PC
- Now connect your phone to your PC with a supported USB cable
- Go the folder where you installed the ADB and shift+right click and run comman prompt/ power shell
- Once in the command prompt, type : adb devices and press enter
- If your device is properly connected, the command prompt will display your devices serial number. If it doesn’t display anything try changing the USB port or the cable or try reinstalling the ADB drivers
- Once connected type: adb reboot bootloader and hit enter. Your device will boot into the fastboot mode
- Now type: fastboot oem unlock on your command prompt and hit enter
- Press volume up when prompted to confirm the action
- Your device will reboot and the bootloader will be unlocked
- Again enable Developer Options on your device as you did in the previous step and enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging and connect your phone to your PC
- Place the TWRP image you downloaded in the folder where you installed ADB and open command prompt by holding shift+right click and also in your phone’s internal storage
- Once in the command prompt, type: adb reboot bootloader and press enter
- Now your device will reboot into fastboot mode. Once in, type: fastboot boot twrp.img and press enter
- Now in TWRP menu, press install and locate the .img file you placed in the device storage. Choose that file and press install. Once installed, go back to the main menu and go to Reboot > Recovery
- TWRP will now be installed. If you wanna boot to the system Reboot > System
- Place the Magisk/SuperSu zip file in your devices internal storage
- Reboot your device in recovery
- While in TWRP menu, tap on intsall and locate the zip file on your device. Once located press install
- After that go to Reboot > System
- Your device is now rooted
So that is all you had to do to root the Lenovo Tab3 8. Have any questions or wanna give a suggestion? Sound off in the comments down below!