Nexus 6 will get official Android Nougat update soon but some people find CM custom Roms much better than Stock ROM. So, if you guys are impatient and want to feel Nougat on your Nexus 6 right now, then, go ahead and flash it (CM14.1). Android 7.1.1 Nougat has many cool and useful features including multi-window multitasking, better notification management, faster device with better battery optimization, more human emoji, improved security, and much more.
CyanogenMod team has been working on their latest custom ROM based on Android 7.1 Nougat. CM14.1 (Nightly) is a bloatware free custom ROM. This official CM14.1 custom firmware is based on Android 7.1.1 Nougat, hence flashing this ROM on your Nexus 6 using custom recovery will offer you a Nougat OS experience.
Here we are only discussing about Android Nougat for Nexus 6, so, Don’t try this guide on any other device. Also, do it on your own risk, we are not responsible for any damage caused due to the instruction given in this page. However, if you will follow the instructions carefully it is very unlikely that your device will be damaged.
- First of all, Backup all your device data.
- You need a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP to get the job done.
- Ensure that your device carries at least 70% charge.
- Make sure USB Driver are Installed for Nexus 6 in your PC. Download USB Drivers.
- Next, enable USB Debugging mode, you’ll find it in Settings under developer options.
Download ROM File and Gapps
CM-14.1-20161125-NIGHTLY-shamu.zip, from here
Gapps Android Nougat, from here
How to Flash CM14.1 on Nexus 6
1. Connect your Nexus 6 to your PC using USB cable and then copy downloaded files to the SD card of your device.
2. Disconnect your Nexus and then turn it off.
3. Now, Boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power key together and release the Power key once the Google logo appears, but keep holding the Volume Down key.
4. It’s Bootloader mode, press Volume Down two times so that Recovery option appears, and then press Power key to reboot into recovery mode.
5. There it is recommended to Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM that you can restore later. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore , then on the next screen, select Backup again.
6. Perform complete data wipe, select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Once done, go back to main menu. Select wipe cache partition and also Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option.
7. Lets move to the installation, select install zip from sdcard, then locate and select the CM14.1 (Nightly) Zip file. Confirm installation.
8. The ROM will be flashed, now, repeat the same process for Gapps zip file.
9. Once done with flashing ROM and Gapps, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot your Nexus 6.
Congratulations! Your Nexus 6 will now be running Android Nougat and if you are facing any problems, reach us via comments, Thanks!