LineageOS 16 officially released a few weeks ago. Since then its adoption rate has steadily risen and so has the list of supported devices. Previously we reported the availability of LineageOS 16 for Xiaomi devices. And now we are happy to report the official availability of LineageOS 16 on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus.
For anyone remotely interested in Android tablets, Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus was a standout tablet for several reasons. At the time of its release, in late 2016, Android tablets were still, sadly, Android tablets. Devices which felt like an afterthought. With the Yoga Tab 3 Plus’s release Lenovo attempted to show other manufacturers that Android tablets can be much more than just tablets.
LineageOS 16 On Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus
If we were to list our biggest complaints and criticisms of Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus, the number one on our list would be the amount of bloatware Lenovo’s custom interface contains. And this is exactly where LineageOS 16 comes in. LinageOS 16 is now officiallly available for Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus. Here is how to install it on your device..
Rooting and unlocking the bootloader are modifications that the device manufacturer didn’t intended. And as such these carry certain risks which involve unstable operation, partially working software or in some extreme cases the device getting bricked. So root your device at your own risk.
- ADB, fastboot tools. Download here
- Unlocked Bootloader
- TWRP image. Download here
- Battery charged to 60% or above
- LineageOS 16. For the wifi variant download here and for the LTE model download here
Step 1: Unlocking The Bootloader
To unlock your tablet’s bootloader, you first need to install ADB / Fastboot tools on your PC. After downloading the ADB tools from the link given above, install the tools on your PC.
- Enter developer options on your tablet by navigating to Settings > About > Build Number > and tapping on it 7 to 8 times until you see a pop-up
- Now go to Settings > Developer Options and enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging
- Connect your device to your PC and start up windows command shell/powershell by right clicking inside the folder where you installed ADB and selecting Start Command Prompt here
- Once the command prompt starts up, type adb reboot bootloader
- After your device boots up in the bootloader (your device will be in bootloader when there is only the Lenovo logo on screen) type fastboot oem unlock
- Your device will factory reset
- As soon as it boots up again, again boot your device into the bootloader
- Now type fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-0-yt_x703f.img to boot into TWRP. You can install TWRP once you boot into into it
- In TWRP main menu, go to Reboot > System to reboot to system
Step 2: Flashing LineageOS 16 on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus
- The first thing you need to do is to transfer the zip file of LineageOS 16 you downloaded from the link given above into your phone’s internal storage
- After that, disconnect your phone from your PC, shut it down and boot into recovery by pressing and holding the power button + volume up button until you your phone boots up
- Once you are in TWRP, wipe the delvik as well as the system cache by taping on Wipe >
- After that go to Install and locate the zip file you moved into your phone and swipe to confirm
- Installing the zip file won’t take more than a few minutes. Upon its completion, go back to the main TWRP menu and reboot to system
- The first boot may take up-to 20 minutes so watch a few youtube videos and you are done
That was easy wasn’t it? Well then, go and flash LineageOS 16 on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus and tell us about your experience with it in the comments down below!