Install LineageOS 15 for Galaxy S6 G920F [Android 8.0 Rom Port]
Listen carefully, If you own a Galaxy S6 then you can install Android 8.0 Oreo on Galaxy S6 with LineageOS 15 Custom rom. Android 8.0 oreo is the in the beat phase now and we don’t know that whether S6 would receive it or not. So, why bother waiting when you can get LineageOS 15 Android 8.0 on Galaxy S6 G920F. Its an unofficial version based on 8.0 Oreo for Galaxy S6. You can install it on your phone via a custom recovery.
As this Lineage OS 15 8.0 is in early stages, it is not completely stable. However, you can still install it on your phone, if it does not perform well then you can always restore from backup to stock rom. Many android geeks, would love to give it a try. So, lets start.
LineageOS 15 Android 8.0 for Galaxy S6
Nightly LineageOS 15 (8.0) is an oreo based unofficial rom that can be installed on Galaxy S6 G920F. We don’t yet will Galaxy S6 receive Android Oreo or not. Also you must ahve heard of CyanogenMod Rom, this Lineage OS 15 is developed by the same team. You can say that it is updated version of CM rom.
One of the perks of having an Android phone is you can install Mods, Custom Roms and tweaks to an extent that your phone won’t get any older. Either if you have a Galaxy S1, you can still update it to the latest android version via a custom rom. To install LineageOS 15 8.0 Rom on Galaxy S6, you can follow the instructions below.
Lineage OS 15 for Galaxy S6 Status
The rom is unoffcial and in early stages. Below are the features that work and those which doesn’t
- Telephony (Calls, SMS, Mobile Data)
- GPS works only on device mode
- Some video codecs are not played properly
Do this before
- Make a full backup using a custom recovery. If don’t have custom recovery then manually backup files, contacts, and media.
- Confirm mode of phone by going to Settings>>AboutPhone>>Model No. Make sure it is G920F.
- For installing the Lineage OS 15 Android 8.0 Rom on Galaxy S6. You must have to root your phone and install a custom recovery like twrp. Follow below links to do this,
Download LineageOS 15 8.0 Rom for S6
Also checkout Galaxy S8 Rom Port for Galaxy S6
Install Lineage OS 15 Android 8.0 Oreo for Galaxy S6 G920F
So, finally after all the above preparations, you can start the real process. Just follow the below process step by step.
- Download the Lineage OS 15 custom rom and Google apps from above links. You may directly download on your phone or PC and then move it to your phone storage.
- Now turn off your phone.
- Boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding, Home+Power+Volume Up buttons.
- Now you are into recovery mode.
- Go to Wipe>>Advance Wipe. Here wipe dalvik cache, wipe system cache and wipe data cache. Swip to confirm each action. (Note: this will delete all your data from phone, i hope you have made backup before.)
- Now, after wiping all the cahces, go back to main recovert menu. Select Install, navigate to the LineageOS 15 rom.zip file. Select it and install the file.
- After the rom is installed, navigate to other Gapps.zip file. Select and install this file.
- Go back select the Reboot option to restart your phone.
- So, everything is done. The newly Android 8.0 Oreo for Galaxy S6 is installed via Lineage OS 15.
- Now your phone will reboot. The first boot up will take some time so, have patience.
If your device is taking too long to boot up and is stuck at boot logo. Then you can follow these instructions to solve the problem.
And that is it. Hope you understand everything well. Ask anything in the comments below. Like it and share it and subcribe for more custom rom tutorials for your phone. Bye, Take Care.